Friday, February 19, 2010

STILL ON U.S. SOIL

The flight out of Phoenix to LAX went without a hitch. The plane was small - only two rows but the flight was smooth and uneventful. Had a two hour wait at LAX and by this time I was already tired - 10:30 pm. Getting ready to board, everything in hand (my laptop/case weighs a TON) and then the large monitor overhead says DELAYED. Oh those magical words. DELAYED. After a few minutes an announcement was made that our plane was having mechanical problems and being serviced. We would board one hour late. After an hour, the supervisor came to the microphone and said that the fuel gauge was not working and they had one more thing to try and if that did not work, we would not be going to Sydney. After another long wait, the supervisor came back and said "Does anyone want to go to Sydney?" We clapped and all shouted out YES. So then the process of boarding started. The couple seated next to me were prepared. She had special socks and a special blanket, lamb fur on one side and silk on the other. It took them at least 5 minutes to get all arranged with their ipods, etc. Then the captain made the announcement that he was very sorry but the problem came back and we were not going. Disappointment, extreme happiness, and disappointment. What a roller coaster!

They gave us vouchers for the LAX Hilton. So here are 303 people all trying to catch the shuttle (which only seated about 50 people max) to go to the Hilton. Finally some people decided to take a taxi. I had been talking to a nice, young, good looking Australian boy so I asked him if he wanted to take a taxi. He said he was a very patient person and would wait for the shuttle. Earlier he told me he had no money and no credit card. So I was standing there, trying to figure out what I was going to do and I heard another couple say they were going to take a taxi. I followed them to ask them if I could share a cab but they were too fast and was already in a taxi. I pounded on the window and the driver rolled it down. I asked them if I could share the cab and they reluctantly agreed. Long story, short they were a very nice Australian couple who had been in the states for a month and on their way home.

So by the time we got through the Hilton line and I got my room, it was 3 am Phoenix time. United had given us a dinner voucher for $15.00 so I grabbed a sandwich as I hadn't eaten since 11 am and was starving. They did not give us back our bags that we checked so we have no clean clothes, toothbrush, makeup, hair brush, etc. Note to Scott and Juliet: Don't look at me when I get off the plane! I will be a fright.

I called Scott and Juliet from my room to let them know I would be a day late. I did not want them to drive all the way to Sydney and then find out I wasn't there. Our plane leaves tonight (Friday) at 9:00 pm. Hopefully, my next entry will be from Australia! See you all down under (I hope).

1 comment:

  1. Not a great way to start your trip, but atleast it wasn't a short trip and it killed a day or anything. Get some rest and hopefully the rest of the trip will go smoothly. Love you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete