Sunday, February 28, 2010

SURF'S UP!

Saturday afternoon (Feb. 27), we drove to Stockton Beach for a swim and walk on the beach. When we got there, it was extremely windy so we decided to fore go the swim and just enjoy walking on the beach. One of my VERY favorite things to do - I think I could walk forever on the beach (one just has to remember that you have to turn around and walk the same distance back).

The origin of the name Stockton is itself unclear. One argument has it that the area was known as "Scott's Town" after A. W. Scott, an early land owner and that this name was eventually mangled through "Scotton" to finally Stockton. The more pragmatic explanation is that it is named after Stockton in the north of England.




Stockton was known to the local Worimi Aboriginals as "Burrinbingon" which meant "the land of plenty" with Oysters, pipies, myraids of fish species in the surrounding water and abundant wildlife in the surrounding forested areas.

The tourist park offers a modern camping and caravan area, where tourists can enjoy fishing, kite surfing, horse riding, four-wheel driving, kayaking, and swimming.


Because it was so windy, there were several Kite Surfers enjoying the waves. I'm not sure how they avoid getting tangled in each others wires. We even saw one kite surfer do a flip after catching a huge wave. Kite surfers have to have major upper strength to be able to control the kites. I was impressed.
Kite surfing guarantees an adrenaline packed, water explosive adventure. It consists of a participant using a board on the water, harness, bar, and lines. In multiple locations in Australia, you can take lessons in kite surfing. I think I'm going to skip this one and just enjoy watching.



Later in the evening, after getting cleaned up (and taking a nap), we went to the Belmont Sailing Club which I saw on my previous cruise, where we had dinner (fish & chips) and then played the pokies. It reminded me of when I was a teenager. We lived on a lake and on Friday nights my mom, dad, and family would get into our boat and go over to Sail Inn where we had dinner and the adults had dinner and beer! The Belmont Sailing Club had the same atmosphere, with lots of families enjoying an evening out.


Unrelated notes: Today (Monday) I finally made my first cup of decent coffee! Also, Juliet just rang me from work and told me that the current Survivor season will be aired here in a couple of weeks. Yohoooooooo! News from Sydney: 5,200 nude people gathered at the Sydney Opera House to be photographed by artist Spencer Tunick. If I would only have known about this in advance.............

3 comments:

  1. Rats, Judy, you missed your chance for a look at 5,200 nekkid Australians...you could have taken a photo for the rest of us. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around it being Monday morning there already. Hey you had a great weekend, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also sorry that you are missing the nude photo op. Maybe next time mom. LOL!

    Look forward to it being summer time here. I am really tired of the cool weather and rain.

    Great blog entry!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete