Sunday, April 25, 2010

CAIRNS - DAY 7 OF 7



We decided on our last day at Cairns to take another cruise and do some more snorkeling. The weather was overcast and rainy but we were going into the water anyway so we didn't think that would matter.


We chose the Reef Magic Cruise as it has a fast catamaran that travels direct from Cairns to the Marine World Platform in less than 90 minutes and we would have approximately 5 hours at the reef.
I really liked this cruise ship - it was spacious, the staff was very helpful and the Marine World Platform was well laid out and it even had a sun deck! After boarding, the staff gave a very educational talk about the reef and then passed out bags in case anyone was prone to sea sickness. We thought this was rather odd as the other cruises we were on did not do this. However, the sea was very rough (it was a rather stormy day) and unfortunately people needed those bags. Scott and Juliet went out to the outside deck to get some fresh air and said people were vomiting like crazy! I don't know why I didn't get sea sick (I usually do) but thank God I was fine. One lady was so sick they had to carry her off the boat and put her in a chair when we arrived to the platform.
The best place to be so you didn't experience the sea sickness was actually in the water. However, the water was really choppy and between the choppy water and the strong current, it made it a little more difficult to snorkel. We decided it was a good thing this was not the first snorkeling trip that we did, or we would not have attempted two more! We did see some amazing corals and some rather large fish. Also saw a jellyfish which freaked us out!
I had a hard time with the taste of the salt water. It would get in my nose and the back of my throat and I would be spitting and sputtering. I swear I tasted that salt water for days after our snorkeling trips.
















Jellyfish at top of picture on left.









Tomorrow morning we head to the airport and go home to Cardiff. This week has been absolutely amazing - one I will never forget!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how beautiful these pictures are...V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, y'all certainly had a great week in Cairns. Thanks for sharing with us...also love your photos.

    ReplyDelete