Sunday, March 28, 2010

LAZY SATURDAY AT THE BEACH





On Saturday, March 27th, we decided to go to the beach for the day. Juliet and Scott packed up the car and we drove to Port Stephens to spend the day at Stockton Beach. Stockton Beach is 20 miles long which makes it very popular with 4-wheel drive enthusiasts and the area has long been the playground of dune buggies and motorcross bikes.









The wind blown sand dunes of Stockton Beach comprise the largest continuous mobile sand mass in New South Wales. The yellow grains have been washed in from the sea and blown ashore to form dunes up to 30 meters high. Most of the sand was deposited about 6,000 years ago. The lee side of the dune is steep and loosely packed, making a perfect surface for sliding down on a sheet of cardboard or something more elaborate. Scott drove up one large sand dune so I could say I've been sand dunning!










Scott and Juliet enjoyed swimming and boogie boarding in the waves and I enjoyed walking on the beach and reading my book.

1 comment:

  1. I love that your sand dunes have a beach included!! I wish mine did too. :)

    ReplyDelete