Tuesday, March 30, 2010

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

No, I did not get a tattoo. However, last night Scott, Juliet and I went to the movie in Newcastle to see Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I read the book and absolutely loved it so I was very excited to see the movie. The movie was produced in Sweden (the author, a liberal journalist, died after delivering to his Swedish publisher the three novels that are the Millennium Trilogy). If you like mysteries and haven't read the Trilogy series, I highly recommend them. The second book is called The Girl Who Played with Fire and the third book (which I am reading now) is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets" Nest.

We were surprised after the movie started that the actors were speaking Swedish and the English was subtitled at the bottom of the screen. It was a three-hour movie but it did not seem like three hours at all and it wasn't very long into the movie and you forgot you were reading the sub-titles. The movie stayed very true to the book I am happy to say and we all enjoyed it.

The movie theater housed three cinema screens and I was surprised that I had to climb so many steps to actually get to the theater seating - like three levels! Movie tickets are expensive here - they were $15.50 per adult. The concession stand was very small. Popcorn was available (we paid about $5.00 for a small bag) and they had some candy in bags hanging on the wall (I did see M&Ms, both plain and peanut).

It has been raining here since Sunday and I am really tired of the rain. It certainly hampers my sightseeing. I will leave you with one picture of The Girl With the Pink Hat taken in front of my favorite mailboxes in Sydney.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch, that is a little expensive. I think it's like $10 here in the states for ticket prices. I have been wanting to read that book....do you have it at your house??? Maybe where I could find it?? :) Love the pink hat you look adorable!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, I am enjoying living vicariously through your vacation! You've downloaded amazing pictures and your narratives are educational and entertaining. I am so glad you are having a great time. Enjoy the rain. It's not like we have that much here. What's wrong with sightseeing in the rain! It makes it even more of an adventure. Kisses to you, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom I Think I know were the book is if she left here! But Grandma I think you should totally get a tattoo!!

    ReplyDelete