Tuesday, March 2, 2010

MAITLAND GAOL (JAIL)

On Monday (March 1), it rained most of the day so I had a quiet day relaxing at Scott & Juliet's home.

On Tuesday, it was back to the sightseeing. Juliet's mum (Betty) and sister (Melanie) took me to Maitland Gaol where we did the audio tour of the gaol. The tour is illustrated with many comments by former in-mates, officers and researchers. The audio gave us an insight into the history and operation of the maximum security facility known as Maitland Gaol. The cells were unbelievably small and I can't even imagine having to live in such a terrible, depressing place.


Maitland Gaol has housed some of Australia's most hardened and notorious criminals. Permanent buildings were not begun until 1846 and the official opening was in December 1848. In January 1849 the gaol was opened and the first 40 convicts arrived. During the 154 years the maximum security goal was in use, the gaol housed murderers, rapists, serial killers, armed robbers, escape artists and petty criminals.
A total of 16 executions took place there, the last in 1897, and countless murders and suicides have been recorded. Only 11 prisoners ever managed to escape the walls of Maitland Gaol, all of which were recaptured. In January 1998 the gaol was finally closed, deemed unsuitable to house inmates due to the poor conditions.


The Gaol is now open to the public 7 days a week and they offer special events such as group Christmas Party evenings, Murder Mystery Dinners, Friday the 13th fancy dress Psychic tours and group sleepover nights. Only the brave can battle the experience of a sleepover night! I can't even imagine that! That gives the word "nightmares" a new meaning!




















6 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people have done the sleepover night thing? You could at least say "I spent the night in jail" without doing the real thing! As if anyone would brag about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo - I think Juliet's nephew did stay overnight. I'm going to ask him about it the next time I see him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give you $10 if you spend the night! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to spend the night! lol JK!
    It would be cool to do the murder mystery dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't spend the night for $1,000. You have no idea how bad it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you have nightmares that evening? I cannot imagine it still being used in the latter of 20th century YAK!

    ReplyDelete